Sunday, March 8, 2015

Chapter 4 Notes


  1. Basic Presentation Skills
Ø  Preplanning
¨      Who is my audience? Know the age group, prior knowledge, and demographics about the topic, and what positions or opinions may hold.
¨      What is my purpose? What do I hope to accomplish? What response do I expect? What will the audience learn from my speech?
¨      Where is all the equipment I need? Where will the talk be held?
¨      When am I on the program agenda? Will I be the first presenter? Or the last one before lunch? If I’m first, the audience will be more alert. If I’m last, the audience will be more restless. What can I do to keep the attention of my audience?
¨      Why am I doing this talk? Why are they here?
¨      How long should I talk? Only few people can focus for more than 20 minutes. Shorten your talk so that people will ask for more information.
Ø  Preparing the Verbal Elements
¨      Which of the following statements makes more sense?
Ø  A: wile perambulating in the antithesis of the metropolis to evade the intemperate brouhaha thereof, my visual cortex perceived an ophidian.
Ø  B:  I saw a snake while taking a relaxing walk in the woods.
¨      Although A seems more intriguing, it obscures the underlying meaning.
¨      Remember the 4S formula:
Ø  Shortness: Use short sentences, avoid too many details, and do not talk too long.
Ø  Simplicity: Avoid wordy, lengthy phrases.
Ø  Strength: Use active voice and action verbs, not passive voice and “to be” verbs.
Ø  Sincerity: Convey empathy, understanding, and respect for the audience.
Ø  Three Structural Parts
¨      Introduction: Purpose: to capture the interest of the audience. Hook your audience.
¨      Body: Purpose: to keep your audience interested. They will continue to pay attention if you keep the material interesting and relevant to them.
¨      Conclusion: Purpose: to pull it together.
Ø  Summarize the major points
Ø  Show appreciation for the audience’s attention.
Ø  Allow for few question’s
Ø  Be sensitive to your audience.
Ø  Visual Aid Helpful Hints
¨      Keep slides simple
¨      Make slides in landscape format.
¨      Present data in simple graphs rather than in lists or tables.
¨      Lots of media
¨      Use bullet points
¨      Large text is the best
¨      Use high contrast colors, no light colors or fancy fonts
¨      Use a light background and dark print.
¨      Keep backgrounds simple.
  1. Presentation Dos and Don’ts
Ø  Dos and don’ts
¨      DO:
Ø  Relax
Ø  Speak slowly and clearly
Ø  Drop your hands
Ø  Rehearse
Ø  Arrive early
¨      DON’T:
Ø  Turn your back to the audience
Ø  Read verbatim from the screen
Ø  Cover your mouth
Ø  Chew gum
Ø  Play with your notes
Ø  Fidget
Ø  Tell inappropriate jokes
Ø  Say ‘um’ or ‘uh’
  1. Basic Technical Writing Skills
Ø  General Guidelines
¨      Be clear.
¨      Use 10 point font size and 1.5 line spacing.
¨      Generally, prefer past tense verbs.
¨      Define any terms.
¨      Present facts or inferences.
¨      Number and caption all tables, figures and appendices.
¨      Proofread and edit several times
¨      Read it twice.
¨      Spell out a number that starts with a sentence.
¨      Keep the leading zero with a decimal.
¨      For long numbers don’t spell them out.
¨      Use the dollar symbol
¨      Watch for significant figures.
  1. Proper Use of References
Ø  ABCs of evaluating information offer a useful start.
¨      Authority: is it clear who is responsible for the site?
¨      Bias: what is the purpose of the article? Is it free of obvious bias?
¨      Currency: When was the information created or last updated?
¨      Use sources that have been reviewed by experts.
¨      Secure a peer review
¨      Compare the information found with content from other websites or from reviewed sources.
¨      Corroborate the information.
  1. E-mails to your college Instructors
Ø  Email etiquette
¨      Be sure to correctly address the recipient.
¨      Use an appropriate subject line.
¨      Sign your full name and include contact information if appropriate.
¨      Change your sending name to your full name
¨      Keep it brief don’t use one continuous paragraph.
¨      If you expect a response, be sure items are clearly defined.
¨      Use correct capitalization and punctuation. Spelling does count.
¨      Check your work before sending it.
¨      When waiting for a reply, give a grace period of 48-72 hours.
Ø  Example:
¨      I don’t know what is going on with the computer but I have been trying to upload the assignment for an hour now and it will not work. I have to drive to (State) tonight so I wont be able to fix this problem later. I can not files on Monday so you can see when they were last saved and show you them then. I really need this one point. Please consider this.
Ø  Better Solution:
¨      I have been trying to upload the assignment since 6 pm, and will continue to try; however, I wanted to email you this assignment since the deadline of 10 pm is approaching. The system will let me browse and select a document but not do anything when I hit submit. I have tried to use a wired connection instead of a wireless, with no luck. Do you have any suggestions for fixing this problem? Thank you in advance for your assistance.



No comments:

Post a Comment